George N. Koumbis
George Koumbis is an associate in the automotive group, which has been recognized by Chambers USA as a leader in the category Transportation: Road (Carriage/Commercial). He works on individual consumer and class actions, unfair competition and commercial litigation. His responsibilities include trial and appellate work, regulatory compliance, and business litigation.
- Favorably closed Bureau of Automotive Repair and Federal Trade Commission investigations.
- Successfully opposed motion for class certification in state-wide action based on alleged violation of CA Penal Code for recording and monitoring employee phone calls.
- Drafted motions in limine that led to dismissal of Commercial Code and fraud action on first day of jury trial.
- Motion for judicial determination and motion for summary adjudication granted and resulted in the dismissal of putative DMV electronic filing fee class action and favorable settlement of "backdating" class action.
- Obtained dismissal of claims for violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act based on alleged failure to provide hand controls for vehicle test drives.
- Secured summary judgment on breach of warranty, fraud, and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims.
- Reversed million dollar jury verdict on commercial real estate breach of contract action. (Ash v. North American Title Company (2014) 223 Cal.App.4th 1258)
- Motion to compel arbitration and dismiss putative class action granted and affirmed on appeal in published opinion. (Flores v. West Covina Auto Group (2013) 212 Cal.App.4th 895.) Petition for review by CA Supreme Court granted.
- First chaired seven day court trial involving contract dispute between satellite television retailers.
- Sat second chair and attained favorable judgment in court trial representing dealership and dealer principal in multi-party litigation over alleged violation of SB 114 (providing financial incentives to “relocating” dealership).
- Served as sole arbitration counsel and obtained judicial arbitration award in favor of automotive dealership against repair facility for parts sold and referral business.
- Struck portions of plaintiffs’ complaint alleging class-wide rescission under “backdating”, “fee lumping”, and “DMV filing fee” classes without leave to amend.
- Assisted in achieving defense verdict on ASFA, CLRA, and UCL “backdating” class.
- Defended satellite television retailer in federal court over trademark dispute with satellite service provider.
- Ash v. North American Title Company (2014) 223 Cal.App.4th 1258
- Flores v. West Covina Auto Group (2013) 212 Cal.App.4th 895
George is a member of the American Bar Association and Hellenic Law Society of Southern California.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
University of San Diego School of LawJD2006University of California, IrvineBA2003